Snort mailing list archives

Re: False positives with SMTP RCPT TO overflow rule

From: "Nels Lindquist" <nlindq () maei ca>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 10:34:48 -0600

This seems to have dropped into the bit bucket the first time I sent
it, so here we go again:

On 25 Jun 2002 at 14:16, Matt Kettler wrote:

At 11:09 AM 6/25/2002 -0600, Nels Lindquist wrote:

I just updated my signatures to the latest ones (as of June 24,
anyway) and suddenly I'm getting hundreds of alerts on SMTP RCPT TO
overflow.

This came up a week or so ago. My general recommendation is that unless you
run a vulnerable mailserver, kill this rule completely.

Will do.

AFAIK this rule is easily bypassed by an attacker, and readily false-prone
due to SMTP command pipelining. IMHO this rule is so completely broken has
no place in a general-purpose deployment of snort.

I noticed in the archived Bugtraq description of the vulnerability
that no known exploit exists.  Does that make it difficult/impossible
to create a signature specific to this vulnerability?

Speaking of general-purpose snort deployments, are there any
documented recommendations for which rules/rulesets ought to be
included?  Or is it just a given that one should be reviewing each
and every rule for applicability to one's own situation?  I looked
through the Snort docs, but they seem to be more tailored to rule
creation.  If I didn't RTFM carefully enough, please let me know.

----
Nels Lindquist <*>
Information Systems Manager
Morningstar Air Express Inc.