Snort mailing list archives

False positives with SMTP RCPT TO overflow rule

From: "Nels Lindquist" <nlindq () maei ca>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 11:09:04 -0600

Hi there.

I just updated my signatures to the latest ones (as of June 24,
anyway) and suddenly I'm getting hundreds of alerts on SMTP RCPT TO
overflow.

Looking at the payloads in ACID, every one of the alerts appears to
be a false positive, ie, part of a legitimate SMTP conversation.

I did a comparison between the older version of the signature I was
using previously, and the only difference is the addition of the
"nocase" option.

From what I can tell, the rule is looking for "rcpt to:" followed by
more than 800 bytes worth of data.  Looking at the payload, the rule
seems to be following the entire SMTP conversation, rather than just
the RCPT TO fragment.

Attached is an example.

So what's going on here?  Should I just "pass" the rule, or should
the rule be altered somehow to be more specific?

Thanks for any advice.

----
Nels Lindquist <*>
Information Systems Manager
Morningstar Air Express Inc.

If you are using Pegasus Mail, or any another MIME-compliant system,