Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort getting overloaded by http traffic:

From: "McCammon, Keith" <Keith.McCammon () eadvancemed com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 13:35:10 -0400

The amount of traffic that Snort is able to inspect has less to do with Snort and almost everything to do with the
underlying operating system, IP stack, and (most importantly) available resources.  If the operating system is short of
resources (specifically RAM), then packets are going to be dropped by the kernel due to lack of buffer space and
general congestion.  As such, they will never be presented to Snort for inspection.

That said, Snort can adversely (but indirectly) affect performance, as something like full logging uses up processor
time and valuable memory, taking away from resources that could otherwise be used by pcap to capture and process
traffic moving up the stack.  So in this sense, Snort has an effect, albeit a small one.

Anyway, the best place to start would be to do some basic benchmarking, and monitor your system's resources.  As I
mentioned, insufficient RAM is the likely suspect, so keep a particularly close eye on your memory stats.

Also, when posting in the future, you can help us to help you by always  providing information about the operating
system, processor speed, memory, Snort version, etc.  Many times, someone has been in the same boat, and can offer up
some pretty sound, specific advice.

Cheers

Keith