Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort rules touble.

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 13:11:09 -0400

It would sound like you are trying to use rules which are for snort-current (aka: development version) on a snort which is snort 1.8.6.

Either that or you are using a "rule management" tool (I forget the name.. hogwash was it?) that has a default behavior of uncommenting all the rules before it runs. There's a command line switch to stop that.

Any rule with the word "flow" in it is not intended for snort 1.8.6 or earlier, but 1.8.6's ruleset has a few with that keyword in it, which are commented out in the files. Try re-extracting your rules files from the snort 1.8.6 source tarball and not running them through any tools.