Snort mailing list archives

RE: Running 2 instances of snort

From: "Michael Steele" <michaels () silicondefense com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 09:08:35 -0700

Archer,

Snort usually sets between the firewall and DMZ. If you have 2
interfaces, you place Snort on one interface and set it to promiscuous
mode and use the other interface as a management interface. You only
need one instance of Snort. You should only be interested in what comes
thru the firewall.

If your using the information for some kind of statistical purpose then
running Snort on the outside and inside may prove useful.

Anytime you run Snort on the outside of the firewall yoiur going to see
an enormous amount of alerts being triggered, and your going to have to
sort thru them.

Michael Steele | System Engineer / System Administrator
mailto:michaels () silicondefense com
http://www.silicondefense.com