Snort mailing list archives

Re: VAR and IP lists

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 20:10:45 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 30 Mar 2002, Subba Rao wrote:

[...snip...]

Some of the packets for the hosts in the VAR list (ex: 10.11.10.12) would
still get alerted.

Ok, so you want to ignore some hosts and some packets but not all packets from
the enitre list of hosts?

[...snip...]

I am assuming you mean the preprocessor. The hosts in these VAR lists do not
have any preprocessor related activities.

Ok.  They are simply stand-alone then.

As for portscans, I have included my routers in another large VAR list and
seems to work well. However, I would like to know how do you deal with the
same issue (portscans) using BPF filters.

It's the same style of filters that tcpdump users.  Have a look at the
tcpdump man page for some exmaples.

snort <options> 'host X and port Y'

Such as that...

-----