Snort mailing list archives

Re: VAR and IP lists

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 09:08:51 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 30 Mar 2002, Subba Rao wrote:

I have declared a variable for a list of addresses that I wanted to ignore.
(The list is much longer than what I have listed here)

var SVCS 10.11.10.11 10.11.10.12 10.11.10.13
var SVCS2 10.11.10.30 10.11.10.40 10.11.10.50

Ignore in what way?

Snort starts up fine without complaining. It does however miss some of these
IP addresses in the rules.

What is the correct syntax for declaring variables with list of IP
addresses? I used the example from Snort manual.

At this time, it depends on the processor that you are sending it to.  Some
use whitespace delimted, some use the [x.x.x.x/Y,z.z.z.z/Y] format.

What is the limit of IP addresses that can be assigned to a variable? I had
to chop the IP addresses after 70 and create a new variable. (I was trying
to assign 300 IP addresses to a variable and Snort did not like that.) I did
not look for the IP address threshold for the variable but randomly picked
70 as the limit.

I'm going to guess that you are trying to ignore portscans from these servers.
I would suggest using a BPF filter and a CIDR netmask instead of a long list
of vars.  IOW, 10.11.10.0/24,

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams