Snort mailing list archives

Re: LaBrea escalates event volume

From: Bill McCarty <bmccarty () apu edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 21:51:20 -0800

Hi Chris,

Ahh! I see where I've failed to explain fully.

LaBrea is tricky. Its phantom hosts _do_ complete a 3-way TCP handshake with an attacker. So, even though these IPs have no associated web server, an attempt to connect to port 80 -- or whatever port the attackers is using -- via TCP succeeds. That's why I'm able to inspect the logged packets.

Cheers,