Snort mailing list archives

Re: LaBrea escalates event volume

From: Bill McCarty <bmccarty () apu edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 15:38:17 -0800

Hi James,

From what I can make out, these are typical scans and probes. If they're at
all unusual, they're unusual in volume, not characteristics.

The majority -- perhaps 75% -- are TCP connections to port 80. A large minority -- perhaps 10% -- are ICMP, mainly pings and replies. Then, we have the usual 21, 22, 111, 443, et cetera, making up the balance.

I chose to write custom alerts against these events because an attempt to access a non-existent host on a private network seemed to me to be at least somewhat hostile. The volume of non-custom Snort alerts that I see does not seem more than that reported by others.

--Bill