Snort mailing list archives

Any how-to for unix-sock?

From: "Dr. Richard W. Tibbs" <ccamp () oakcitysolutions com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 13:54:27 -0500

Hello list.
I am a serial newbie to linux and snort.
I have a Suse 7.0 Pro system with snort 1.8.3 downloaded, compiled & running (at least I have tried snort -v).
I am interested in using the unix-sock feature to essentially use
snort as a packet classifier and have another program running
to analyze packet statistics in real-time.

I have read the snort users manual, and despite the statement there (p.36) that unix-sock is an experimental feature, I am motivated to try it.

Is there any how-to, examples or other documentation on how to use this feature?

Has anyone on the list tried it with any success?

Can anyone point me to resources for erstwhile newbie to begin coding such a program as I am contemplating ;-)

Thanks in advance...

RWT.