Snort mailing list archives

Re: Can I 'nice' snort process?

From: Saad Kadhi <bsdguy () docisland org>
Date: 10 Jan 2002 19:58:21 +0100

On Thu, 2002-01-10 at 19:03, Tran, John wrote:
I'm running snort on one of my web servers as a local IDS (don't ask me why,
let's just go along w/ it for now..) and it takes up massive amounts of CPU
(40%), which can be expected considering it's a large amount of traffic.  It
was suggested to me to run 'nice' on the process to throttle it's CPU usage,
but I'm pretty sure throttling snort will cause it to drop a lot of packets.
Is this true?
yep at least to my field knowledge. But instead of nice-ing, you could
log less stuff, tune up your kernel, etc...

regards.

--
/Saad --  [bsdguy () docisland org]
[pgp keyid: 35592A6D http://pgp.mit.edu]