Snort mailing list archives

Re: VERY simple 'virtual' honeypot

From: "John Kinsella" <jlk () thrashyour com>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 23:19:38 -0800

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 10:34:16PM -0600, Lance Spitzner wrote:
(...)
However, I was just thinking, why bother deploying the box?
Why not create a list of Snort rules that generate an alert
whenever a TCP/SYN packet or UDP packet is sent to an IP
address that has no system?  This could incidate a probe,
scan or attack, the same principles of a honeypot, but
without deploying an actual system.

I'm presuming one would have Snort already set up, and just are
skipping the external honeypot part.  That said, what are you gaining
by seeing somebody scan/probe an IP with public services vs one
with no production services?  Only win I see from having the rules
for IPs not tied to a system is being able to see how targeted a
scan/attack is.

Finding out what somebody does when..."presented" with a vulnerability
is where the value comes from in a honey(pot/net), IMHO.

John