Snort mailing list archives

Re: VERY simple 'virtual' honeypot

From: David Watson <david.watson () ioko365 com>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 12:07:55 +0000

Lance / Kurt,

I had been thinking about exactly the same idea myself recently, simply for scan trend analysis on multiple networks / sites without having to deploy a full honeynet. How about something as simple as a Trinux boot disk with LaBrea tar pit running on an empty Internet connected segment? This would respond to incoming connection requests to any IP address on the local LAN and attempt to either hang on to the connections or reset them politely. The usual snort config would provide useful alerting and logging information, whilst with connection trapping enabled some attackers might be fooled into believing there were actual physical systems and coming back for more detailed scans?

Thanks,

David

At 21:47 07/03/2002 -0700, Kurt Seifried wrote:
> Most honeypots work on the same concept, a system that has no
> production activity.  You deploy a box that has no production
> value, any packets going to that box indicate a probe, scan, or
> attack.  This helps reduce both false positives and false
> negatives.  Exampls of such honeypots include BackOfficer Friendly,
> DTK, ManTrap, Specter, and Honeynets.
>
> However, I was just thinking, why bother deploying the box?
> Why not create a list of Snort rules that generate an alert
> whenever a TCP/SYN packet or UDP packet is sent to an IP
> address that has no system?  This could incidate a probe,
> scan or attack, the same principles of a honeypot, but
> without deploying an actual system.
>
> Of course this does not give you the Data Capture capabilites
> of a honeypot, as there is no system for the attacker to
> interact with.  However, this could be used to help detect
> scanning or probing activity.

Better yet have snort spoof a reply (i.e. pretend that a valid port is
there). Then the attacker comes back later for more giving you more
information and wasting more of their time. Then you get a bit of the best
of both worlds. I'm sure snort, portsentry or something similar could easily
be hacked up to do it. Alternative use port redirects on Linux/OpenBSD to
redirect stuff for unused networks to a "legit" server that will reply with
basic stuff.

> Thoughts?
>
> --
> Lance Spitzner
> http://project.honeynet.org

Kurt Seifried, kurt () seifried org
A15B BEE5 B391 B9AD B0EF
AEB0 AD63 0B4E AD56 E574
http://seifried.org/security/
http://www.idefense.com/digest.html

For additional commands, e-mail: honeypots-help () securityfocus com
This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert
(SIA) Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service
which automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities.
Please, see: https://alerts.securityfocus.com/

--
David Watson                    Voice:  +44 1904 438000
Technical Manager               Fax:    +44 1904 435450