Snort mailing list archives

Re: VERY simple 'virtual' honeypot

From: Frank Knobbe <fknobbe () knobbeits com>
Date: 08 Mar 2002 10:36:34 -0600

On Thu, 2002-03-07 at 22:34, Lance Spitzner wrote:
However, I was just thinking, why bother deploying the box?
Why not create a list of Snort rules that generate an alert
whenever a TCP/SYN packet or UDP packet is sent to an IP
address that has no system?  This could incidate a probe,
scan or attack, the same principles of a honeypot, but
without deploying an actual system.

Not really a long list. Here is what I use:

block tcp any any -> $UNUSED any (msg:"TCP Port Scan";)
block udp any any -> $UNUSED any (msg:"UDP Port Scan";)
block icmp any any -> $UNUSED any (msg:"ICMP Scan";)

$UNUSED includes all unused IP address, defined in snort.conf with
[x.x.x.a,x.x.x.b,x.x.x.c] etc.

Regards,
Frank