Snort mailing list archives

RE: firewalling snort machine

From: "Salisko, Rick" <SaliskoR () ottawapolice ca>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 08:15:00 -0500

I have tried to get around a similar problem in the past by setting the default gateway of the sensor to the firewall
external interface, which, of course, is set to deny all such packets. Each time a packet (scan or otherwise) is
directed to the sensor ip address, any response it sends is sent to the firewall, which reports it as a packet
forwarding attack.

Other than opening the sensor to a DOS type attack, can anybody see any other blatant holes in this technique ?