Snort mailing list archives

IDS Center

From: Peter Charbonneau <Peter.Charbonneau () williams edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 08:34:55 -0500

First of all - Yes, I have read the IDS Center problems summarized.

I think I have a different problem.  I am running v1.09/v1.8.2 on a WinXP
box.  I took all the defaults, and added "output alert_full: alert.ids" to
the snort.conf file.  When I test the configuration, I get the following:

|> IDScenter test console <|

-- Press ENTER after checking Snorts output --
Log directory = log
--== Initializing Snort ==--

[!] ERROR: Can not get write access to logging directory "log". (directory
doesn't exist or permissions are set incorrectly or it is not a directory at
all)
Fatal Error, Quitting..

If I run snort using the command-line built by IDS Center, snort runs fine -
it generates the alert file, the tcpdump binary, and the portscan file.

What am I missing WRT IDS Center and logging?

PeteC

Peter Charbonneau
Sr. Network and Systems Administrator
Williams College