Snort mailing list archives

Re: Making an image of my setup

From: David Lambert <dlambert () demo legallock com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 09:20:04 -0600

I don't know if this is the "best" approach, but I have used the following
to distribute a pre-configured Linux system.
First make a tarball of your entire system, taking care to be intelligent how
you handle special directories such as /proc, /mnt/... etc. To restore this
tarball I used a small diskless Linux system which booted from a single
floppy. I configured my own just to learn how, but quite a number of
preconfigured images on the net. Incidently, it is quite surprising how much
Unix you can fit on a floppy, if you keep away from GUIs! If your tarball is
small enough to fit on a single CD, then you could put the whole image and
boot system in one place. If your image spans more than one CD, you can use a
backup tool such as yacdback which is just a front end for tar, but saves you
having to think ;-)
I hope this helps.
Dave.