Snort mailing list archives

Re: (no subject)

From: "J. Craig Woods" <drjung () sprynet com>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 08:53:53 -0600

Wesley Eddy wrote:

Warning, this message may offend some viewers ...

This mailing list never ceases to amaze me.  Not only does someone ask
such a ridiculous question as "how do I run a windows program", but
there are *multiple* replies.  Please people, don't grace such nonsense
with even a single reply, or if you really must, for god's sake don't
send it to the entire mailing list as well.  What percentage of subscribers
actually find discussion of how to run windows programs useful/interesting
information?  I would guess slim to nil.

Consider that the kid lacks the basic abilities to go to google and
type "snort windows 98" or read documentation, yet has the gall to
email an entire mailing list begging for help with little to no explanation
of his problem and expect assistance.  Do you really think this is a
person who needs to be running snort?  Do you think he knows what it's even
for?  Could he comprehend the output?  I doubt it.  So why even bother,
or more importantly, why bother the list?

I wouldn't get so worked up if this wasn't such a frequent occurence on
this list.  On other lists when an asinine question comes in it gets
ignored, or is answered via personal email not cc'ed to the list.  For
some reason snort-users hasn't learned that behaviour.  Let's try to
change that.

Hey, while on the subject, what's a snort?

--
J. Craig Woods
UNIX/NT SA

-Art is the illusion of spontaneity-