Snort mailing list archives

Re: (no subject)

From: Chris Green <cmg () uab edu>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 06:15:13 -0600

"Don Dowling" <dowling_denis () hotmail com> writes:

Hi

I'm looking at snort as a solution to a problem I've been given.
Basically, we have a PCAnywhere machine on our corporate LAN. We want to
allow an external company to access this machine for software updates.
Obviously this is a security risk so we are looking at solutions that
will eliminate this risk. One is to configure a linux firewall with
scripts to disable all traffic (except PCAnywhere) using iptables when
PCAnywhere traffic is detected and to enable all other traffic when no
PCAnywhere traffic is detected.

Why do you allow everything on macvhines without PCAnywhere?

I'm looking at snort as the means of detecting the traffic but my
question is can I configure snort to execute a script that will run
iptables to disable all other traffic?

You should write a swatch script to perform the
http://oit.ucsb.edu/~eta/swatch/ reconfiguration for the "detected
traffic case".

I think the correct solution though would be to have your admins VPN
to a local machine and then use PC Anywhere to admin.
--
Chris Green <cmg () uab edu>
Laugh and the world laughs with you, snore and you sleep alone.