Snort mailing list archives

Snort on Linux Help

From: David Wilkeson <davelist () cboss com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 15:14:22 -0500

I've been running Snort on a Windows platform on and off for some time so I am fairly well versed in Snort itself. I recently decided to set up a permanent Snort box, and decided that Linux would be better suited for this application. Well, I've got everything set up and running and I am testing by having Snort log everything, but I can't get Snort to see anything with a destination address other than an Ethernet broadcast address (.255), the box itself, or any machine that is connecting directly to the linux box. It's not a physical Ethernet problem as it works fine when I plug my Windows Snort box into that jack on my switch (I have monitoring mode turned on for that switch port). I think it must be a problem with libpcap, but I have uninstalled and reinstalled various versions and packages including RPMs and source code. I've made sure that IPCHAINS is disabled. I am completely out of ideas and my head hurts from beating it repeatedly against the wall. Anyone else have any thoughts?

TIA!
Dave