Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort on Linux Help

From: David Wilkeson <davelist () cboss com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 11:14:59 -0500

At 03:39 PM 11/21/2001 -0800, you wrote:
I'll ask the dumb questions...

1.  With Snort or your Ethereal running, does 'ifconfig' really show
that interface as being in promiscious mode?

Nope. However, when I type "ifconfig eth0 promisc" it goes into promiscuous mode, but it doesn't change the output of ethereal or snort. So to recap, the syslog indicates the interface entering and leaving promiscuous mode, but ifconfig does not report it in promiscuous mode unless I manually put it into promiscuous mode.

2.  You are running this as root or with root priveledges right?  I'd
expect it to complain loudly if you weren't but figured I'd ask anyways.
You do need root privs to put the NIC in to promisc mode and it sounds
like syslog is reporting it as working. (but these are thee dumb
questions)

Yes I am.

3.  What brand of Linux?  RedHat? Debian? Suse?

Redhat, loaded by Dell.

4.  With it running, do a 'netstat -i' (obsfucate your IP just to be
safe), and send me the output.  I think '-i' works in linux...

Are you sure that's the one you want? It really doesn't show much of anything other than counters.

Dave