Snort mailing list archives

Re: Professionalism

From: Brian <bmc () snort org>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 13:50:58 -0500

According to Joe Smith:
To the administrators of SNORT,

An excerpt from "classification.config" from the most
recent snort rules download.

config classification: kickass-porn,SCORE! Get the
lotion!,1

Regardless of your feelings towards porn, this is
beyond unprofessional.  It is this kind of needless
stupidity that makes it that much harder for real
professionals and those they report to to take snort
seriously.  I can tell you that, while I'm not female
and am not personally offended by these remarks, I am
professionally offended, and I've worked in
environments in which comments as "SCORE! Get the
lotion!" would be responded to with immediate
dismissal.

Get a grip.  If you don't have fun with your job, then you should
get a different job.

Snort is an open source project worked on by people that do it
because they like it.  While we are working to build the best
intrusion detection system available, we work on snort for fun.

Obviously you have never compiled perl, the linux kernel, anything
from ADM, or any number of other open source projects.  Pokes and
prods are part of the game.

We are trying to keep up with commercial IDS vendors that include
porn signatures.  Since snort, and snort's signatures are open source,
just change the tag line for kickass-porn to "Forward to HR for firing"
if you wish.

Snort's porn signatures are NOT enabled by default, they are not ment
to be a be all end all method of finding people browsing porn.  These
signatures are  more to poke fun at vendors that include porn signatures
by default.

--
Yeah, well, uh, just keep your Power Gloves off her, pal, huh?