Snort mailing list archives

RE: Configuring Cisco switches...

From: "Cessna, Michael" <MCessna () rtm com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 11:24:30 -0400

I place high quality hubs inbetween my fw interfaces as shown:

ISP----cisco2611,T1/ethernet
Router--------HUB------FW-----HUB--------int.network
                                                     \-----HUB--------DMZ
By using a hub by definition you see every packet that all other ports see.
Since the only things I have hanging off of the hubs are the snort sensors
you get only a negligible performance degradation. Also set the IDS
interface to be a IP'less interface with a receive only cable than you don't
have to worry about it sending anything over the wire. Use a second
interface to connect into your internal network so that you can receive
alerts, get logs, look at acid reports , etc.
Remember that this only works well if you have no other nodes on the hub but
the ids. If you hang another node off the hub than you run into the problem
of a shared collision domain and then the performance degradation is not
negligible (depends on how much the new node pump out over the wire).
There is nothing wrong with hubs as long as you use them in the right
places.
Mike