Snort mailing list archives

RE: Configuring Cisco switches...

From: Bryan Childs <bryan.childs () mercator com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 15:21:17 +0100

Ok - after talking to my net admin chappy - he has another question, and I
quote :

"it would be better to ask of the best way to set up an ethernet network to
optimise your chances of capturing information whilst maintaining high
performance switched networks"

and he said to ignore any smart arses that suggested going back to using
hubs :)

Well ?

Anyone got any good advice on this...

On the face of it - turning on the port mirroring on the switch sounds like
it will do the job - but will anything suffer noticeably after we've done
it? (Apart from the snort box, we're expecting that!)

Bry