Snort mailing list archives

Re: How can I tell if spade is running?

From: "Matthew Collins" <Matthew.Collins () northernregistrars co uk>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 09:18:46 +0100

James Hoagland <hoagland () silicondefense com> 28/08/01 16:40:37 >>>

Just wondering.  For what reason did you change CallAlertFuncs to
CallAlertPlugins?

I noticed that stream4 was using that, rather than CallAlertFuncs, so just thought I'd try it.

I don't know why I only got the Fatal error message when I put the
debug level up, looking at the code it should always produce that
message.

Not sure.  To start with I'd need to know how you changed the debug
level.  And also precisely what error message you got.

I set as_debug = 1 at the top of the spp_anomsenor.c file.
The error message was
FATAL ERROR: spp_anomsensor: unable to open /var/log/spade./log.txt

Tuning the alert level is difficult.

You might try using spade-adapt3, which should keep things pretty
straightforward.  This way your explicit threshold only matters for
the first 60 minutes (in the default config).

I'm using this now, along with spade_homenet

I notice, in the midst of alerts about normal web & email traffic,
traffic coming in to port 80 on unused IP addresses was also getting
logged. I thought this was good, until I noticed that it had the
same anomaly level as normal web traffic, so it disappeared when I
put the level up.

That is very surprising and something I'd never heard of before.  Can
you check that result again?  How long had Spade been running at this
point?

Spade had not been running long, an hour at the most. I was playing around with settings as well. I'm going to keep an
eye out for it now it's all settled down again.

[lots of useful info snipped]

Hope this helps,

  Jim

It does, Thanks.

Matthew

This message and any attachments are confidential to the ordinary user of
the e-mail address to which it was addressed and may also be privileged.
If you are not the addressee you may not copy, forward, disclose or use
any part of the message or its attachments and if you have received this
message in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and
delete it from your system.
Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free
as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, arrive late or contain
viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or
omissions in the context of this message which arise as a result of Internet
transmission.
Northern Registrars Limited, Northern House, Woodsome Park, Fenay
Bridge, Huddersfield. HD8 0LA.
Tel: +44 (0) 1484 600900  Fax: +44 (0) 1484 600911
For more information visit our web site: http://www.northernregistrars.co.uk