Snort mailing list archives

Re: How can I tell if spade is running?

From: James Hoagland <hoagland () silicondefense com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 20:23:38 -0700

Thanks for responding to this Gary. Just want to make a few additional comments.

People sometimes get confused about where to expect Spade's anomalous event reports to appear. They expect it to appear in one of Spade's special files. Instead, it goes wherever your alerts from Snort normally go. (E.g., to Snort's alert file or to your database)

I'm partial to the adapt3 mode (over adapt and adapt2). It is simple and seems to work well. YMMV though.

Definitely use spade-homenet. This specifies the network over which to monitor packets going in to. Since Spade needs to know what characteristics to expect for packets, it needs to see enough examples for the networks it monitors. In general, you will not have that for external networks.

You can consult Spade's README (called README.Spade in the Snort distribution) or Usage (README.Spade.Usage) files for other useful information about Spade.

Best regards,

  Jim