Snort mailing list archives

Re: DB Rules

From: Chris Green <cmg () uab edu>
Date: 18 Aug 2001 11:56:51 -0500

Tom Sevy <tsevy () epx com> writes:

I wouldn't really be in favor of putting the rules into a DB.  Just my
opinion, but I don't think it adds value to the program.  Nice?  Yes, maybe.
I think this could be achieved with rsync though.

Changing large sets of rules at once without coming up with a kludge
of a regex that I hope I get right is what I wish for.

Going off-track from snort itself, does anyone know of an Open Source
message queue?  We had in-house apps that suffered the same problem
(dependent upon connection to DB/SQL Server) and we solved it by putting a
message queue between the App(s) and the database.  So if this is really a
problem (snort hangs when blocked in DB output) then it might be resolved by
an output plugin that writes to a message queue, then another process that
reads the message queue and inserts to the DB.  If there is a block in the
DB, then the writing process will wait, but snort keeps going.

This is what barnyard will be in a way ( write to disk then have spo's
write to whatever output format you wish ).
--
Chris Green <cmg () uab edu>
"I'm beginning to think that my router may be confused."