Snort mailing list archives

Re: DB Rules

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 17:18:04 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, Charles Henrich wrote:

It would be really cool if snort could read its rulesets from the database
source.  That way remote sensors who are talking directly to the central DB
server could get immediate rule updates, and make administration of a snort
network much easier.. (IMHO).  Whacha think?

It could work.  But there are a few things about it that I don't like.

1)  Snort needs to be HUP'ed or restarted to re-load it's rules.  DB can't do
that, so you'd need to script something.
2)  Ease of editing.  Now we've got one more layer between your admin and the
rules.  I can't just 'vi fred.rules' and comment out what I don't want.
3)  One Basket.  Everything goes into a single point of failure.
4)  DB Availability.  What happens when net access to the DB goes away?
Outage, blip, whatever--There will be times connectivity between them will go
awry.

Personally, I simply use ssh/scp and a shell script.  It allows me to push new
rules, .conf files, new versions, etc. to each sensor without resorting to
logging into them.  Again, this is my opinion only!

This is kinda like the "Tomato or Tamato" debate.  :)  If it works for you, do
it!  If not, make something that will work for you.

Later!

-----
Erek Adams
Nifty-Type-Guy