Snort mailing list archives

RE: spp_http_decode rules

From: "John Berkers" <berjo () ozemail com au>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 11:51:01 +1000

Ken,

All alerts that start with a spp_ are generated by one of the Snort Pre
Processors, there is no rule that triggers these.  This doesn't mean that
the packets are totally bogus, it means that the pre-processor has found
something that it's been told to look for.

In this case the http pre-processor is checking for the use of Unicode
encoded URL's and Null bytes in CGI requests.  Unicode is often used by
hackers to defeat ../ checking by encoding it in double-byte characters.
CGI Null byte attacks are used for similar purposes.

I would suggest looking at the packet contents, you will likely find
something along the lines of:

GET /scripts/..%co%af../..%c0%af../winnt/system32/cmd.exe?/c+dir

This is someone (or a script) trying to use the CMD.EXE on a microsoft IIS
server.  This attack also works against a number of other web servers, but
these bugs have been patched in both IIS and Apache (if it ever existed in
Apache).  Most other vendors have also patched their products.

The ISS Unicode attack detected message is extremely useful if you have some
web servers whose patch level you are not sure of since you can spot an
attack easily.

If you decide that you want to turn these alerts off you can use the
following syntax in snort.conf

preprocessor httpdecode: 80 -cginull -unicode

Hope that helps you.

Regards,
John Berkers
berjo () ozemail com au