Snort mailing list archives

RE: spp_http_decode rules

From: "Erickson Brent W KPWA" <erickson () kpt nuwc navy mil>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 21:12:59 -0700

Hi Ken,

Your own internal users normal surfing can trigger these alerts in the
preprocessor. Netscape in particular has been known to trigger them.

Instead of disabling them,try a BPF filter to ignore your outbound http
traffic such as:

snort -d -A fast -c snort.conf not (src net xxx.xxx and dst port 80)

This has worked very well for us over a period of 5-6 months and Snort is
still very able to decode actual and dangerous cgi null and unicode attacks
on our public web servers.

Hope this will help you.

Marty and other experienced Snort users told me how to do this quite
sometime ago and the credit is theirs. I just believe in sharing. I had the
same problem with normal outbound http triggering these alerts like big
time.

Brent Erickson