Snort mailing list archives

Re: Log questions

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 07:39:39 -0400

Phil wrote:

Snort users,
I have some questions about my logs:

For starters I have a directory under
/var/log/snortlogs which is my own external IP
address. Everything under the directory is one of the
following two:
  Possible RETRANSMISSION detection [**]
  EVASIVE RST detection [**]

I also have directories for INTERNAL addresses
(hom_net is set to my external address while
external_net is set to everythign else). I see how
this is possible since it's not my home_net, but since
I NAT everything with IPFilter, this seems strange.
The internal address logs are for the same two things.

So my 2 question are:
1. why are there so many of those two kinds of logs.
Are they false alarms? Are they bugs?

No, they are indications of crappy IP stack implementations in use.
Upgrade to http://www.snort.org/files/snort-1.8.1-beta5.tar.gz and
they're turned off by default.

2. why are my external address (which is HOME_NET) and
even my internal NAT'd address getting in the logs.

Because a preprocessor is what's setting off the alerts, so it's outside
of the normal rules-based intrusion detection engine.

    -Marty

Thanks,
Phil

--