Snort mailing list archives

RE: Problem with Code Red signature

From: "John Berkers" <berjo () ozemail com au>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 21:41:17 +1000

Your signature looks for /default.ida?NNN which is more specific than the
WEB-IIS ISAPI .ida attempt, but since both signatures fire only on a dsize >
239, they should only fire when they have that much data.  Personally I only
look for .ida?N to distinguish Code Red from a generic attack, I also use
stream4 & reassemble.  I'm also using Whitehats ruleset, augmenting it with
a new rules using local.rules

I don't think stream4 will make a difference in the proportion of the
alerts, but you may find that more are being picked up since I believe that
a type of whisker splicing is being done.  I don't know if this means that
each attempt has an identical sequence of packets or not though.

Do be aware that there is also the new worm 'Code Red II' which uses XXX as
a filler instead of NNN.  Are you positive that the generic .ida? rule is
not firing for these, at least in some of the cases?

Just my thoughts.

Regards,
John Berkers
berjo () ozemail com au