Snort mailing list archives

Re: Log questions

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 21:11:39 -0400

Phil wrote:

Martin (and everyone else)

[snip]

That in itself isn't a huge discovery, you probably
know you built that into Snort. However, the
intersting part is I cannot limit my dumps with snort
on elxl0, but I can on ppp0. For example:

snort -dv -i ppp0 not port 22

Does what it's supposed to while

snort -dv -i elxl0 not port 22

shows TONS of packets to and from port 22

This is a pcap problem, not a snort problem.  The BPF filtering
subsystem is provided by libpcap and the issues that you're seeing are
completely at that layer.  I'd recommend contacting the tcpdump.org guys
for that one.

Additionally, I was running snort last night and ran
the attack scripts from a machine outside the network.
The following got completed (the rest were either
status 'skipped' or I got tired after an hour and
stopped):

[snip lots o' attacks]

But not one of them was picked up by snort. I'm
running snort with the following options:

Did you have rules running that pick up the attacks you run?  What tool
were you running?

/usr/local/bin/snort -A fast -i ppp0 -l
/var/log/snortlogs -c /etc/snort/snort.c
onf -D

and I have all the default includes in snort.conf. I
have HOME_NET set to $ppp0_ADDRESS and EXTERNAL_NET is
set to !$HOME_NET

I'm running snort Version 1.8.1-RELEASE (Build 74)
Solaris 8 x86 MU5 (7/01)

Your config looks good to me, if you're having problems I'd suggest not
running in daemon mode until you can be sure you aren't getting any
command line error messages.

     -Marty

--
Martin Roesch