Snort mailing list archives

RE: Problem with Code Red signature

From: "Jyri Hovila" <jyri.hovila () iki fi>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 01:10:14 +0300

Hi Graeme!

I've checked out the tcpdump format log for these alerts, and it looks
like the Code Red worm; it has 'www.worm.com' string etc. Also, the
requests are made to servers running Apache, not IIS.

Do you have any idea what else could be causing this?

Thanks! =)

Yours,

Jyri

Sometimes I get *only* the "WEB-IIS ISAPI .ida attempt";
the Code Red signature doesn't seem to 'fire' at all.

Well, you could of course be seeing real formulated queries to the
ISAPI
Indexing Service! The original buffer overflow for the ISAPI exploit
hit
servers which left the default IIS indexing service enabled. It's easy
enogh
to switch off, but it's also very widely used to do seraches of local
sites
on that server. That is, after all, what the original service was
intended
to do.