Snort mailing list archives

Re: Tcpdump, alerts and portscans

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 18:35:52 -0400

Look at the spo_unified plugin, that may have some of the answers you're
looking for.  Pretty soon (ver 1.8) you'll have a binary definition file
for Snort logs and alerts that allow you to move the information for
portscans around more easily for importation into something like
ACID/external logging systems.

I'll explain more in depth when I get a little free time (or when 1.8
ships).

    -Marty

Jason Lewis wrote:

Actually that is what I want to do.

I am the middle of writing a paper on configuring multiple sensors with a
central console box.  The sensors are logging in tcpdump format and the
master console pulls that info from the sensors and replays it through
snort.  The master console is running ACID and all the sensor data is stored
in the db.  This removes any extra load on the sensors and the master
console is dedicated to crunching data.

I have successfully done the replay but the portscan info isn't showing up.
It isn't that important to me, but I know I will get questions.  So, I am
looking for an alternative way of getting portscan info into ACID.  I don't
like the other methods of consolidating sensor data.  I think tcpdump is the
way to go, the portscan stuff is a detail.

I can't believe I am the first to have this problem.

Jason Lewis
http://www.packetnexus.com
It's not secure "Because they told me it was secure".
The people at the other end of the link know less
about security than you do. And that's scary.