Snort mailing list archives

RE: Tcpdump, alerts and portscans

From: "Jason Lewis" <jlewis () jasonlewis net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 14:46:19 -0400

Yeah, I thought I had solved it.  I was using -A full on the command line
and that overrides the config file.  But, portscans are not making it into
ACID.

Couldn't a replay do the same thing on the tcpdump file?  I mean doesn't it
seem possible that a processor could look at the tcpdump file and store the
same info and make the same conclusions about connections?

Maybe I can log portscans to a file and then insert those into ACID?  It
doesn't look like there is anything fancy happening with portscans when they
are put into ACID normally?  Does that sound like it might work?

Jason Lewis
http://www.packetnexus.com
It's not secure "Because they told me it was secure".
The people at the other end of the link know less
about security than you do. And that's scary.