Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: InformIT: comparing static analysis tools

From: Chris Eng <ceng () veracode com>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 03:31:20 -0500

Please note, it's trivial to convert bytecode to source code in both the
.NET and Java ecosystems. This distinction feels more sales centric, but
is not technically correct, IMO.

You can convert bytecode to something that will recompile (usually) but you can't truly renerate source code.  Code
comments aren't preserved, for example.  And if the project wasn't built with javac debug info on, you get even less.
This is a subtle difference, but an important one.  I understand where you are coming from, though.

I suspect -- having pen tested many a corporate network in my time -- that we protect customers' IP better than they do
on their own internal networks.  Oh, the irony.  :)

I think Chris Wysopal's reply hit the nail on the head though; we've been vetted by countless customers and a number of
three letter government agencies, and we've always managed to overcome objections.  I believe people will become more
comfortable over time, as cloud services become more prevalent.  A decade ago, some companies were afraid to let you
pen test their web apps!

Chris Eng
Senior Director, Research
Veracode, Inc.