Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Java: the next platform-independent target

From: James Manico <jim () manico net>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 12:54:41 +0530

Ben,

These threats are only relevant for client-side Java, for the most part.

It's my opinion that all enterprises should remove Java from all clients.
Java is most commonly deployed server-side which has a completely
different threat model than client side Java.

A lot of smart people disagree with me here - but the history of Java
sandbox problems, data theft though reflection, the weak security policy
mechanism, etc, backs up my recommendation. Oracle is one of the most
irresponsible large technical companies from a product security
perspective, so I have no hope that this will get better. Abort Java on
the client, and please support forking Java.

- Jim