Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Java: the next platform-independent target

From: "Steven M. Christey" <coley () linus mitre org>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 13:28:53 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010, James Manico wrote:

A lot of smart people disagree with me here - but the history of Java
sandbox problems, data theft though reflection, the weak security policy
mechanism, etc, backs up my recommendation.

Given the history of security problems in the PHP interpreter itself, and the occasional issues in Perl, and don't forget some of the tidbits in ASP.Net, maybe all those should be tossed out as well, and we should all move back to C. ;-)

Compilers/interpreters are software, too, and so are going to be subject to vulnerabilities.

(Not that I'm disagreeing with strategies that reduce attack surface, such as disabling client-side functionality.)

- Steve