Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Java: the next platform-independent target

From: ljknews <ljknews () mac com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 17:50:49 -0400

At 9:54 AM -0400 10/20/10, Benjamin Tomhave wrote:

All these platform-independent attacks are starting to get exhausting,
no? Now that Adobe has come up with sandboxing for Reader and actually
started responding to threats, it seems that the smart adversaries have
moved to a new platform: Java. Stories are below, mostly deriving from
Microsoft's latest Intelligence Report (this one has a botnet focus - a
topic on which they've invested a ton of resources).

If I understand this all correctly (never a safe bet), it seems these
are actual attacks on Java, not on coding with Java.

I have followed the URLs you cite, and found absolutely nothing
to indicate there is a problem with Java as a programming language.

The troubles are with the Java Runtime Engine, and have nothing to
do with programs compiled from Java straight to object code and
then linked into an executable image.

This is just one symptom of the generalized problem of Mobile
Code.  That is what NIST Control SC-18 is all about, and likewise
US DoD DCMC-1.
--
Larry Kilgallen