Secure Coding mailing list archives

What is the size of this list?

From: gem at cigital.com (Gary McGraw)
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 09:26:32 -0400

hi martin and rafael,

I agree with Martin.  Software security is essential in most embedded systems.

Also note that there is an interesting fractal line between hardware and software in such systems that often makes for
interesting security situations.  Consider Java-based smart cards (which I worked on a decade ago) which were
susceptible to both malicious applets and differential power analysis.  Designing a secure system involved
understanding both the hardware and the software.

At Cigital we continue to do lots of software security work with embedded systems companies, especially in the mobile
space.  The OS vendors, the carriers, and the application providers all have security responsibilities (and can all
screw the whole thing up).

By the way, QUALCOMM was a member of the BSIMM study and has a mature software security initiative underway.   See
http://bsi-mm.com

gem

company www.cigital.com
podcast www.cigital.com/silverbullet