Secure Coding mailing list archives

What is the size of this list?

From: andrews at rbacomm.com (Brad Andrews)
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 15:50:44 -0500

Great points Karen!  We can't prove a program is "secure" in the same vein.

The danger I am spouting off about is the idea that we would solve the
software security problem if we just take a more "scientific" or
"mature" (or whatever) approach.  I think those can definitely reduce
the risk, but I don't think it will reach the goal.

I am all for getting 50% of the way there.  That is a lot better than
being 0% or even 25% of the way there!  I am just VERY concerned that
if we try to sell management the idea that we are now taking a
"scientific" approach (or whatever the term), we will end up with
implied promises that will lead them to expect perfection, which won't
come.  They will likely ignore all our disclaimers that we are only
seeking a partial solution to what we can solve, at least in the
current state of thinking.

Getting them to even take any action is a challenge in many companies,
so some could argue my concerns are foolish.  I think they are
important because you want to make sure any buy-in you eventually get
expects the right things.  If you don't do this, you will end up in an
even worse position down the road.

--

Brad Andrews
RBA Communications

Quoting "Goertzel, Karen [USA]" <goertzel_karen at bah.com>:

Actually, we can't prove programs are bug free if by "bug" we also
mean all possible anomalous behaviours. My colleagues keep pointing
this out to me when I suggest that we should start leveraging the
computational power of computing grids to analyze complex software
the same way other researchers are using grids to develop models of
the natural world, the human genome, etc. They keep quoting that
bloke Kurt G?del with his pesky little incompletness theorem as
proof that 100% complete analysis of software cannot be done.
Frankly, I'm beginning to think this is their excuse for not even
trying to get me to the 50%. But the point is, even if you can do
everything "right" in terms of building software to be
vulnerability-free and behaviourally-benign, you apparently cannot
achieve 100% verification that you've done so. Ergo, assurance can
never be 100%.