Secure Coding mailing list archives

InternetNews Realtime IT News - Merchants Cope With PCI Compliance

From: arian.evans at anachronic.com (Arian J. Evans)
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 16:32:16 -0700

Gunnar -- agreed. And for all the "fake security" in the
name of PCI going on right now out there -- let's also
keep in mind that it is completely valid and legitimate
to attempt to operationalize software security.

We scoff because to date it hasn't been done well (at all).
That is just as much a technology as people problem.

I know WAFS can be used fairly effectively. The recent SQL
Injection bots, and folks who survived them through attack-
vector filtering, are good examples of increased survivability
through use of this technology.

I suspect there's a backlash coming to the magic-pizza-box
WAF vendors. The "magic elf inside" auto protection just
does not work in most enterprise scenarios.

Tangential to PCI -- the self-proclaimed top vendor in the
PCI WAF space with "super-auto-learning" is losing several
top accounts I've confirmed, from VARs and customers directly.
Including customers on their "case studies" page.

The customers ditching the "auto-learning" WAF are
still using a WAF. They are just replacing it with a
different kind of WAF.

The two approaches I see being investigated as part
of a WAF 2.0 strategy are:

(a) virtual patching e.g.- only protecting things known to be weak, and

(b) Fortify's code-shim "WAF" approach.

Disclaimer: I work on a solution of type (a).

Agreed on the people problem. There's a technology
problem here too, though. And it's not a small one.

Many of us throw out the baby with the bathwater due
to the technology problem and the insane vendor
marketing around it we've been dealing with for years.

When many of our technology solutions still don't do
what they say they have been able to do for 4 or 5
years, maybe it's time to start blaming some new people.

--
--
Arian J. Evans.