Secure Coding mailing list archives

InternetNews Realtime IT News - Merchants Cope With PCI Compliance

From: mkgavin at hotmail.com (Michael Gavin)
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 17:40:27 -0400

I too was wondering how much of a boon 6.6 would be to the WAF vendors and/or the companies that do security code
reviews. That is, until 4/22, when the PCI SSC issued a press release
(https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/pdfs/04-22-08.pdf) announcing an information supplement clarifying requirement
6.6 (https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/pdfs/infosupp_6_6_applicationfirewalls_codereviews.pdf).

Clearly, completing security code reviews on all of those web applications and/or protecting them with those expensive
"magic pizza boxes,"  which, last time that I checked (almost 2 years ago now) were running about $35K to start, wasn't
going to happen any time soon.

The good news from that "information supplement" is that the PCI Security Standards Council defined what they mean by
an application firewall and specified what it is supposed to do; the less good news is that they specified 4
alternative methods for satisfying the code review option: 1. manual security code review, 2. automated security code
review, 3. manual web application vulnerability scan, and 4. automated web application vulnerability scan. While I
think automation of code reviews and vulnerability scans is essential, I also believe that none of the automated tools
are yet sufficient (completeness-wise) without some additional manual effort.

So, unfortunately for the WAF vendors, people can just use a static source code analysis tool or a web application
vulnerability scanner instead of purchasing and deploying a WAF.

Michael