Secure Coding mailing list archives

GCC and pointer overflows [LWN.net]

From: ljknews at mac.com (ljknews)
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 15:00:47 -0400

At 1:00 PM -0400 5/1/08, Epstein, Jeremy wrote:

Ken, a good example.  For those of you who want to reach much further
back, Paul Karger told me of a similar problem in the compiler (I don't
remember the language)

VAX Pascal, before VMS was on Alpha (and long before Itanium).

used for compiling the A1 VAX VMM kernel, that
optimized out a check in the Mandatory Access Control enforcement, which
separates information of different classifications (*).  [For those not
familiar with it, this was a provably secure kernel on which you could
host multiple untrusted operating systems.  Despite what some young-uns
seem to think, VMs are not a new concept - they go back at least three
decades that I know of, and possibly longer.  The A1 VAX effort ended
roughly 20-25 years ago, to give a timeframe for this particular
compiler issue.]

--
Larry Kilgallen