Secure Coding mailing list archives

Really dumb questions?

From: lists at ticm.com (Bret Watson)
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 09:33:15 +0800

At 10:51 PM 29/08/2007, McGovern, James F (HTSC, IT) wrote:

- So when a vendor says that they are focused on quality and not
security, and vice versa what exactly does this mean? I don't have a
great mental model of something that is a security concern that isn't a
predictor of quality. Likewise, in terms of quality, other than
producing metrics on things such as depth of inheritance, cyclomatic
complexity, etc wouldn't bad numbers here at least be a predictor of a
bad design and therefore warrant deeper inspection from a security
perspective?

My opinion is that security and quality are inherently related. Poor
security indicates poor design, poor testing etc  poor quality
management tends to result in poor application security..

In fact two jobs ago I used this argument to implement security at a
company who was extremely strong in quality (5% of the workforce
belonged to the quality dept). I've also found that using "quality"
tools such as FMECA etc for security assessments works very easily.

Cheers

Bret