Secure Coding mailing list archives

Software process improvement produces secure software?

From: jjchryan at gwu.edu (Julie Ryan)
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 12:52:55 -0400

A simple way to understand why implementing software development
process improvement will not necessarily produce secure software is to
read the Common Criteria.

yes, I know that it's opaque and hard to understand, but once you have
gone through the process of writing a Protection Profile for an
implementation independent information technology application, it
becomes a lot clearer why simply having a good software development
process does not imply secure software.

which is why I make all my students write a protection profile on a
topic that I pick (the latest ones centered around computer forensics
tools)