Secure Coding mailing list archives

Insider threats and software {EOG}

From: gem at cigital.com (Gary McGraw)
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 15:59:50 -0400

Hi Michael,

I think thinking about firewalls and protocol analysis is missing the point almost entirely.  Remember, the subverted
client is behaving itself from the perspective of the server.  It's just doing normal game client things...only in the
case of a bot it is being driven by outside logic written by the no-longer-present gamer who wants to create virtual
wealth while sleeping.

How would a host-based firewall help?  The GAMER controls the host!  Why on earth would the gamer/attacker allow a
firewall to get in the way of game client subversion?

gem

company www.cigital.com
podcast www.cigital.com/silverbullet
blog www.cigital.com/justiceleague