Secure Coding mailing list archives

Insider threats and software

From: mshines at purdue.edu (Michael S Hines)
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 11:03:59 -0400

Doesn't an execution sandbox serve similar funtions to a firewall, but at
the host level?  Can't even more control be added to a sandbox than can be
set on a firewall?

Second, doesn't a host based firewall (even on desktops) provide the
security you are talking about (providing they work propery - which is
another topic).

Am I missing the point?

Or are you thinking of something that checks message queues for proper
semantics and syntax (since some OS's are message based and work from
message queues)?

M.
Michael S Hines
mshines at purdue.edu