Secure Coding mailing list archives

Insider threats and software

From: gem at cigital.com (Gary McGraw)
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 15:54:03 -0400

Hi,

The point here is NOT to pull a person-in-the-middle attack against the protocol, but rather to subvert the client
completely and have the subverted client do all of your talking for you.  The most advanced (game)bot techniques that
we describe in EOG work by shimming (in an almost invisible way) the game client, then setting up a communication
channel with another processor after a hardware interrupt in the main game thread is thrown.  For those of you with the
book, see pages 228-230.

A less hairy approach is to attach to the game client as a debugger and just call methods like there's no tomorrow.
The only problem with that approach is it is like stomping around in the mud puddle and you are likely to be detected.

Effectively then, you ARE the client.  That's why I think it's more of an "insider" attack than your standard BO sploit.

gem

p.s. I added a little bit of data on the justice league blog about this:
http://www.cigital.com/justiceleague/2007/08/16/software-the-new-insider-threat/